All Aesthetic Services
Sclerotherapy (Varicose Vein Treatment)
Sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive procedure that involves injecting polidocanol (FDA approved agent) directly into the vein. It treats both varicose veins and spider veins. The sclerotherapy solution causes the vein to scar, forcing blood to reroute through healthier veins. The collapsed vein is reabsorbed into local tissue and eventually fades.
Sclerotherapy can help with:
- Cosmetic purposes — to improve the appearance of varicose and spider veins
- Night cramps
Depending on the severity of the condition, sclerotherapy treatment can take about 45-60 minutes. Based on the size of the treated vein or veins, you may need multiple treatments four to six weeks apart. Although some veins disappear immediately, most take three to six weeks to see full resolution.
After the procedure:
- Walking and moving is helpful for best results and to avoid blood clots.
- You’ll be asked to wear compression stockings for five to 10 days to maintain compression on the treated veins.
- Most clients return to their normal activities on the same day. You should avoid strenuous exercise for one week after the procedure.
- You’ll also want to avoid sun exposure to the treated areas during that time. The inflammation caused by the injections combined with sun exposure can lead to dark spots on your skin, especially if you already have a dark skin tone.